Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Lee on Facebook

So...

I am getting a bunch of questions...

"Lee, you said you wasn't getting on Facebook. But now you are. What happened?"

Yeah, I was wailing on folk about that. Wondering how the heck they had time to fool around on Facebook. And how ya'll had time to fool around on Twitter.

I recently told a friend "I don't want to forget what it's like to read a book or smell a flower!"

In other words, I don't want to spend any more time on the computer than I have to.

I have a lot going on. Most have more going on than me. I just didn't get it. I saw a news program where a woman said she spent 5 hours a day on Facebook.

That is some craziness! NO WAY!

Who has THAT kind of time???

Yet, I am on Facebook.

It ain't my fault, though.

It's the Iniquitous One's fault.

In other words, it's Nikki's fault.

LOL. I know she's frowning up at that.

She came over to my house one Saturday, a couple of months ago, during March Madness. I fried up some rainbow trout, boiled up some shrimp, and conjured up a salad and we watched one of the basketball games...

I sat in my lounge chair. Nikki camped out on the sofa.

Our convo turned to Facebook.

"You need to get on Facebook, Lee!" she yelled.

"Uh, no."

"Come on, Lee!" she said. One of the players shot a basket. Nikki cheered very loudly, pumped her fist in the air.

"How ya'll got time for all that?" I asked. "My day is busy enough as it is."

"It's a lot of fun!" She yelled again. Someone else scored. Nikki yelled REAL loud.

I just sat there and watched her and the game.

Uh, Nikki is a true sports fan. She get rowdy like a dude. I found this quite hilarious.

"Girl, ain't no way I'm putting my WHOLE name anywhere on the internet. If you google my name, you get my scientific publications. Period. I don't want to be found by folk I went to high school with. Don't want no negroes from my past showing up and tripping on me."

Nikki pumped her fist in the air. "Lee's a gangsta!!!!" she yelled.

"I ain't no gangsta, gal. I'm just an Oldgirl."

I found that to be very funny. I am not gangsta. But for some reason, Nikki has always thought of me as, I don't know the right word... pious. Not sure where that came from. But the more we talked about out lives, and the more our friendship grew, well...

I suppose she thinks I am a bit hood, lol...

"You don't have to use your real name. You can go on as Lee Parker."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yeah, you can!" she yelled.

"We'll see," I said.

"Do it, Lee! You gangsta!"

Nikki got really excited when a player stole the ball from a player on the other team. She whooped and hollered and kicked.

I sat there and watched her, the game... and my coffee table.

Thinking real loud in my head "OH LAWD SHE'S GONNA TAKE OUT MY TABLE!"

Not to mention, that crazy cat Kramer was totally enamored by her. All that hollering had that boy all giddy.

I didn't say anything. Just sat there and laughed at her and peeled and ate my good shrimp.

We had fun that night, watching the game and having girl talk. Most of my homegirls don't care for sports. Nikki makes up for all of that!!

You alright with me, Nikki... You sho nuff is, chile.

But what she said concerning Facebook peaked my interest.

Now I am on Facebook. I got real bored one day, and worked it out. It takes up no time. I only fool with it if I am on the computer. I am also on Twitter. But I don't use that.

I'd really wanted to get on so I could follow my favorite author Miss Celie, aka, Tayari Jones. I live vicariously through her travels. That chick is a traveling bandit. Would've like to have seen her twitter and facebook activity when she over in Africa last year! I want to catch her and see what she's doing... Knowing her, she might decide to go to the moon.

She skipping around Martha Vineyard right now, so I am always interested in what she has to say about that...

But my life isn't interesting enough to be giving a play-by-play breakdown of what I'm doing.

Not to mention there are a few dudes on there that I slept with in the past. Don't want to be found by them. Thank goodness for the alias!

LOL

But I must say, it is interesting to see what some of ya'll are doing. VERY entertaining.

Ya'll are crazy!!!!

So thanks Nikki, for convincing me to try it out.

But I have questions:

What the heck is up with all them dang quizzes ya'll be taking? That is some craziness.

And why do people who I don't even know want to be my friend? What is up with that? I don't know you!!

LOL.

Very strange. Strange indeed.

So if you see me around those parts?

Don't forget to say hi!!

9 comments:

  1. 5 hours on Facebook???? Um, no. I still don't get what all the hype is about. I'm on there but I very rarely log in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chele... 5 hours. Ain't that some craziness? The show was about addictions to social networking.

    Ain't THAT much addiction in the world!

    Creeped me out.

    I find it to be a glorified IM. Basically. Definitely chewing gum for the brain when you're bored, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on the fence about Facebook. My 12 yr daughter wants to get on. My Ex is on. My Sister is on. UUgghh *thinking*

    If you are on...I may have to concede and come over to Facebook LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that I'll ever twitter. FB cured my Myspace addiction though. But 5 hours??? Do we not have lives anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got on Facebook in late March, Half of the Bloggers I know are on there...or Twitter, which is why I only see Blogposts from my favorites about twice a week now..
    yet we Facebook everyday..Even my production is down from before when I used to blog everyday..What is the world coming too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @BABZ... I am on, but only when I am doing something else on the computer. My habit may be 15 minutes at the most. lol

    Good way to keep up with people. I don't see how these people manage 1000 friends though. That is a bit, uh, overkill.

    @LBeezy... 5 hours a day, man... that is 35 hours a week. I can't imagine. That chick must've been having a GOOD time, lol.

    @Keith... Yeah, it did just about kill off blogging didn't it. Hard sigh. I'm going to keep on blogging, bruh. Hope you do to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:08:00 AM

    5 hrs on FB?! It's not that much to do! lol I hate those quizzes. I've told them to stop sending me those things. Right now I have 92 requests/drinks/purses, etc people have sent me. I only go on FB to update my status and comment on my friends' status. Mostly I use my FB application on my phone instead of the computer.

    I don't understand strangers asking for a friend request. I always send an email asking "do we know each other?" LOL I don't get it.

    I am addicted to twitter. I downloaded the application to my phone and that was all she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:16:00 PM

    All the best, Lee Parker!

    I'm not interested and frankly have no room in my schedule for more computer time. I'm having issues with blogging as it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!