Sunday, June 07, 2009

Sunday Scripture I

Alright, I said I was gonna post every day during the month of June, and that's what we are going to do... doggonit, lol.

So, I thought I would devote my Sunday post to a piece of scripture that I've read recently that has stayed on my mind... and has caused me to make (or attempt to make) adjustments.

This will give you a little taste of how I think about things. I am always thinking about spiritual stuff, even though you wouldn't know it from reading the things tacked up on the walls of the House of LadyLee. "LadyLee" is only a very small slice of who I am. Very small.

So I will reserve my Sundays to post what is REALLY on my mind, and what I'm writing about in my personal journals... usually it is some piece of scripture I am chewing on like a piece of GOOD fatback, lol...

Today's Sunday Scripture comes from the book of 2 Corinthians. I read several versions of the Bible, so I chose to post the Message Bible version.

I highlighted the parts of the verse that peaked my interest.

2 Corinthians 13: 5-6 (MESSAGE)

Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere heresay. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it.

This piece of scripture made me really sit down and think about a few things.

First of all, I'm not the most solid when it comes to my faith. I am a lot stronger than I use to be, and I think that this comes with age, experience, and personal growth... but I am nowhere near where I want to be. I am not upset about this. I am constantly under construction, you see.

Under construction until the day I die. As is everyone else.

But this verse runs a bit deeper than that.

The highlighted parts really made me sit down and look at my life.

And really really be honest with myself and where I am at.

"Don't drift along taking everything for granted."

When I think of drifting, I think of a piece of wood or something in the ocean... just drifting along with the ebb and flow of the waves, moving wherever the waters take it.

Drifting will only get you one thing, eventually- lost. Not knowing where you at, where you are going, and eventually, not even knowing who you are.

Drifting along taking everything for granted is not so much of a problem with me. I tend to catch myself when I get a bit too complacent about things.

For there are people who were alive yesterday, but did not wake up this morning. There are people who were well yesterday, but are incompacitated today.

Tomorrow isn't promised. Heck, the very next breath isn't promised.

So, I think that helps me understand, and something that I practice anyway (and moreso after reading this verse)... that life is special. No, my life or your life may not be the one that everyone wants. It may not be the most glamorous or approved of by the masses...

But nevertheless, life is unique and special. It should not be taken for granted, or treated like it's nothing.

You know what I always say:

I am breathing.
The blood is still running warm through my veins.
THEREFORE, life is good.

Period.

A second part of that verse really stuck out:

"Give yourself regular checkups".

I think we (well I don't know about you, but speaking for myself), tend to do this around New Years. Oh, how we make the "resolutions". We check ourselves once a year and say we're going to do X, Y, and Z in the New Year.

Why can't I give myself a monthly checkup?

Heck, take it a little further-- Why can't I give myself a weekly checkup?

A daily checkup?

Probably because it's too painful to do.

I have a vain streak. Don't like admitting stuff to myself. I eventually will, though.

But if I want to grow... If I want to change-- then I have to give myself frequent "checkups".

I mean, I go to the doctor every 4 to 6 weeks. She does about 20-30 tests on my blood, squeezes my joints (driving me nuts in the process, lol) and we discuss it and make whatever adjustments we need to make.

Now, if I can do this with my health...

Why can't I do this with my emotions, beliefs, habits, and goals?

Isn't that just as important, if not even more important?

Finally, the last part of the verse was also interesting.

"Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it."

That is very very strong. First of all, it takes honesty and hefty dose of courage to even admit one's issues, and to even admit that one is failing in a certain area, well... that just takes a lot of humility and maturity.

To take action and DO something about it is a thing of courage within itself.

But I am convinced that it is the only true way to experience personal growth.

Really.

The context of this scripture is surrounding testing out your faith, but I believe that it goes far deeper than that, spreading into all facets of life. True enough, if you get your faith right, and make corrections concerning your faith, well heck, EVERYTHING is born out of that...

I think I read this scripture a couple of weeks ago, and it has stuck with me. There are things in my life that I have looked at in light of this scripture, and have made a few decisions to take action on...

So I hope you got a little something out of this verse, even if it's on a more secular tip.

Like:

Evaluate yourself.
Pinpoint the problems.
Decide to take action concerning such problems.

For action creates results... and at least gives God something to work with. It gives Him a way to assist us in getting wherever we need to get or desire in life.

Did you like the Sunday scripture? I hope you did.

Now have a song... One of my favorites, from Richard Smallwood and Vision:




Enjoy your Sunday... on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!