Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mattress Tales!

This post right here goes out to Ginae.

Because she has been waiting for my matress post!

Here you go, gal!

Anyway, I needed a new mattress set for my master bedroom. The old one was 10 or 11 years old, and it was time for a new one.

No, my old mattress wasn't some nice Sealy Posturepedic. I couldn't afford that back in 2001. I bought a matress set off a guy who was suppose to be an interior designer. A friend had told me about him. He didn't "look" like an interior designer. He looked like a red neck. I was living in New Orleans at the time, and LadyTee was visiting. He took us to a storage facility, to some storage slot.

Me and LadyTee were set to beat the cheese out of this dude if he was shady...

But...

He was an interior designer for real. And in his 20ft by 20ft storage unit, he had lovely mattresses and furniture. We had a fine time in there, looking around.

I bought a king size set with support rails for $400 bucks.

What a lovely deal.

Then we decided to get on out of there.

That stuff coulda been fenced. Mighta been hot.

And LadyLee is too cute for prison.

BUT. We bought it.

That's my story. The short story of my old matress. Good matress, but cheap.

Alas, time for a new one.

I didn't wanna do all this research about it. I just knew I needed something and how much I wanted to spend. That is all. If I laid on that sucka and it felt alright. Then cool. Let's roll with it.

So, I went down to the local mattress spot. Yeah, I did a little bit of looking around on the internet to get a thought or two about what I wanted and different prices. So I was just going to wander around the local mattress spot and see what I thought.

Interesting place. Especially when I walked in and saw $2000 matrresses.

I lay on them. And they felt okay. But uh, no. I wasn't trying to spend $2000 bucks. NOPE.

My goal was $700-900 dollars. I continued to follow the saleswoman around the store.

Lovely chick.She was a big girl like me.

We will call her "Sista Wanda".

Such a nice saleswoman. They taught her well.

Because she ran me over to those Tem.per.ped.ic memor.ary foam beds.



I didn't lay on them. I pressed my hand to them. I mean, they felt alright. I didn't get chill bumps from touching them.

I wasn't laying on NUTHING that cost $5000.


Oh it was cute. You can press the area around the wine glass, and the glass wouldn't fall over.

Cute.

Sista Wanda talked about it. She's a great saleswoman.

I had to tell her... "Look honey, if you hear tell of me having this mattress in my house, you can assume it fell off the back of the mattress truck. And I tied it to the top of my Mazda and took it home."

She had a look on her face that said "I can't wait to call all my friends and talk bad about you."

Not in the budget, babes!!!

And I have had friends over the years who have paid upwards for $3000 for a mattress set. They say it feels good. Real good. And i believe them.

Better feel good. But the Oldgirl was gonna pass...

Then she tried to sell me these interesting pillows.



I pressed my hand to it.

"They are coconut oil infused," Sista Wanda said. "Really nice."

I pressed my face to it. Inhaled hard. "Ooooh, that right there smell good."

Coconut oil. I like coconut oil. I use it on my natural hair.

I inhaled the pillow again. I could get with these. "How much are they?"

"$129.00," Sista Wanda said.

*ladylee letting out a holler and throwing pillow down like it's a rattlesnake*

"$129.00?" I yelled, my voice a good ten octaves higher than normal.

"Yes," she said.

I laughed.



"Yo homie, hold up. That's like, that's like for like a set of 4, right? 4 for 129?"

"No," Sista Wanda said, lovingly as if talking to a small child in danger of having a temper tantrum. "They are $129.00 each."

I smirked. "Honey, if you hear tell of me having those pillows, you know I stole them... Out of somebody's house."

Sista Wanda had that look on her face again. One of difficulty and confusion. Like she was searching her mind for the training on how to properly deal with fools who walk in the store.

"If I pay all that type money for a bed and accessories, I better be spending 18 hours in that bed!"

"Come on, now," Sista Wanda said. "Nothing like a nice bed."

I am sure that is true. But for $5000 dollars for the bed and $130 pillows, I better be spending 18 hours in that bed...

With a man, some liquor, some BBQ ribs...

and a bag of weed.

I'm just saying.

That is all.

Needless to say, she left all that alone.

I kept gravitating over to a cheaper memory foam set. It was on sale. It felt really good.



I lay on a bunch of beds and I liked it best. That low price probably made it feel very good.

That is a queen set. The king set was $150 dollars more.

I bought both. Really because I could get them both delivered for one fee. I was a little miffed at the delivery fees. So that was best for me, since in a perfect world I wanted 2 mattress sets. I plan on moving upstairs sometime soon.

And there they are in their rooms.

Upstairs bedroom.



I rarely go upstairs. I live downstairs. Upstairs was my sister's domain before she moved out in June 2010. I'd been meaning to get up there, but was lollygagging. After getting a few things done to the bathroom and cleaning up up there... I have to say that I like it... Feels like I have a second house!

Here is the bed in the downstairs master bedroom.

I hang out downstairs more. I am trying my best to break in both beds.

I covered both sets with waterproof covers. Sista Wanda was trying to sell those to me too, for $119 per set. Uh no. She left me alone.

(My sister later hollered. "Girl you can get the mattress covers for $25 dollars at Wal.Mart!!"

She was right.)

I LOVE the new mattresses. Memory foam is the bomb. That is all.

Get yourself a good high thread sheet set and it is ON!

I did more research after buying the beds. (I know. I am backwards). You can get away with buying a cheaper bed, and then go buy the memory foam mattress pads. Not the same thickness, but I think it would work. Memory foam mattress pads are aroung $200. After adding everything up, I did okay.

But I got two nice mattresses, with about 4 inches of memory foam, for about $1400 bucks total. You cannot beat that.

Sista Wanda is the bomb. She worked in some friends and family jazz, etc... Hooked me up for buying 2 sets. (Maybe she didn't, and that's what she told me. Once I started whining about buying 2 sets, she started jumping down on the prices).

I have had the sets two and a half months. I love them. I am sleeping better. No strange pains when I wake up...

And that is all I can ask.

I am satisfied.

Yes indeed.

Well, Ginae... and blog fam in general... that's my illustrious mattress post.

I hope you enjoyed it!

9 comments:

  1. Only you can make mattress buying an ADVENTURE!

    I am glad you got a new mattress, I need one too...a king set. It's time. The bed lasted longer than the marriage and now it's time to get rid of it. HHmmm a blog post? Maybe?

    Have a great weekend. We are expecting a snow storm tomorrow. Yes the crimson & cream afghan is already on the coach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ LoveBabz! You made mattress buying FUN! As for the spending 18hrs in a bed w/ "a man, some liquor, some BBQ ribs...and a bag of weed." I am logging out of life right now! That made me LOL!!!!

    Happy Friday Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LoveBabz...

    BABZ! Wassup Oldgirl?

    Yeah Ma, time for a new bed. My bed was the one that I had when I was married. Time for that to gooooo...

    You and the afghan "The LoveBabz Special". You still got that blanket!??? I love that you enjoy it so much! Makes me wanna make you another one! :)

    Stay warm, hon!

    @Mzinspiredmind...

    Dearest Chicken!

    Look! I'm just saying! NO WAY that scenario is going to happen. A $5000 mattress? WOW!

    And I need some music with my $5000 mattress, and my man, the bag of weed, and the liquor.... I request some Diana Ross or some Clark Sisters. Please and thank you.

    Not going down! I don't even sleep 8 hours a night. NERP

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah! *me grinning real hard all excited and shouting thanks Ladylee!*

    yet another testimony of how good these mattresses are from someone who I actually know who will tell the truth....yep that was the final push I needed to make a decision to get one...the cheaper one like you and my cousin have I might add....don't need no $5000 mattress...that's just absurd!

    I do have one of those memory foam pad coverings over the bed that you mentioned but it its only 2 1/2 inches and although I did noticed some difference I know it will be on and popping if I can get the whole mattress and more inches.

    they say you need 4 or more inches to really feel the difference and feel good...wait am I still talking about mattresses? Hee hee .....sorry old girl I got a little sidetracked there..

    you make me want to run out and get one this weekend. Thanks so much for taking the time to indulge me. I sure appreciate it and you....

    oh fyi got me some memory foam pillow for $50 each some time ago at jcpenney when they were 50% from $100.. Check them out they always having a sale on their pillows.

    I'm glad those aches and pains have lessened for you. Folks be swearing by this bed....I want one so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bag of weed? Girl, you crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ginae... Yeah girl! Go check it out.

    I forgot to talk about the chemical smell. That memory foam has a smell that some people are allergic to.

    Just be like me! Spray it down with some Lysol! And zip it up in a mattress cover! *two thumbs up and cheesing like Celie*

    I want the pillow! But I want the coconut infusement too! I'm gonna check out the special memory foam pillows!

    @Chele...

    Chele! First of all, you see that expensive $5000 mattress in my house... you know I STOLE IT!

    And I sell weed!

    I am the neighborhood liquor bootlegger!

    I sell BBQ rib plates for $8.00 a plate outta my kitchen!

    And I am pimping some mens!!!

    LOL!!

    (yes all that is happening if I have that bed in my house... i.e., I ain't buying that mattress!)

    *Chele kicks the hard eyeroll*

    Happy Birthday Chele! love ya, oldgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL will I have this much fun if I go buy a mattress?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. well this is really a fun thing for me. a very much impressive blog.
    Suppliers of beds and mattresses

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!