Tuesday, October 25, 2011

35 Years

35 years.

35 years ago.

35 years ago TODAY.

No, it's not my birthday. My 42nd birthday is coming up.

I wish I could see 35 again.

Not a birthday, but an anniversary of sorts.

Not a happy one... more of a shocking one.

35 years ago today... this happened.

The "Accident".

October 25, 1976.

Not much time goes by when I have thoughts about it. I wish I could not have thoughts about it at all.

But it's something that stays with me. A residue of sorts...

Baggage. Emotional Baggage.

I thought much about it during a Friday night sermon this past summer, given by one of our assistant ministers. He was talking about marital conflict.

And how emotional baggage starts in childhood. Something happens in childhood, and it carries over into adulthood.

Baggage. Big baggage.

I don't know. But as he talked about it, I agreed with his reasonings.

I remember looking around at people, wondering if they had emotional baggage like mine.

I think much about it when watching the news, and it is reported that a woman and child were killed by an abusive boyfriend or husband. It stirs up some old dormant pain that I've swept under a rug laying in the back corridors of my mind.

And I think about it every time I see my mother's reset collar bone. Or the scar from where her jaw had been sliced open.

She never talked to me about it. Life just went on, like nothing ever happened. I don't even think she cared that it was the start of a rip in our relationship...

A relationship that no longer exists.

All my years, after that happened, I have kept an eye on her. At a young age, I knew I couldn't trust her to keep me out of harms way. I always kept an eye on my brother and sister, listened for any sign that Mama's men were trouble.

It pains me to this very day to see a child in a situation where there is conflict in the home, and they are just there... can't leave, can't do anything but watch what goes on...

They can do nothing but watch, and pack their own set of baggage.

It pains me something awful. My pain turns to insidious anger.

And that's not good.

Children see things. They think about things. They ponder... deeply.

But I must tell you. Anytime I get depressed or down on myself, I think of that night.

That night, 35 years ago.

I didn't die that night. My mother didn't die that night. We survived. And we are still here.

I am still here.

And it gives me hope.

I am still here, some 35 years later.

I am still here, right here, right now...

For a reason.

For a purpose.

Even though I can't tell you why... i can't see the reason or feel it at that time, when I am feeling down... I can't hold the reason in my hand, can't feel it, can't smell it or touch it. Can't physically detect this reason.

All I know is: I am here... still here, for a reason.

So.

35 years.

35 years ago.

35 years ago today.

A terrible thing happened.

35 years later.

I am thankful that I am here.

That I simply... am.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:26:00 AM

    Thankful that you are here too.

    Remnants

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thankful that you are here too. I believe that one of the reasons you're still here is to be the amazing person that you are. You have NO idea how much you mean to folk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life gives you 'things' for a reason even if we have no idea what purpose they serve.

    My mother is the same way. She is involved when there is no man but once a man enters the picture, I am an afterthought. An only child I grew up thinking I would never allow a man to use me for a place to live, a car, money, etc.

    Sometimes adults have no idea the things they expose to their children or the consequences of their actions. They have no clue the things they struggle with become their child's struggles as well.

    My mother has no idea why I am as independent as I am but for me it is a way of life. A coping mechanism.

    I am glad you are here. You are one of the warmest people that have crossed my life path. One day we will have a convo in person at one of the vegetarian spots I keep eyeing!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that this happened to you and that you still feel the pain after so many years. I am not a perfect mother but I have never allowed a man to come between me and my kids. Not even their father. I know women who do and they tell me that "I have to have a life too". What kind of ish is that? My kids didn't ask to be here and since I brought them here it is my responsibility to make sure that they are protected. That mess pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could type so much here but will spare you..lol..like the others I am glad you are here and feel blessed in knowing you. You are helping others in so many ways even if you don't realize it yet. I hope one day you will write a book on the accident because you have a story to tell and it will help so many people more than you can reach in your blog.

    you are a true survivor in more ways then one and as you probably already know that is no "accident" by any means.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:23:00 PM

    Thanking God for you being here, and being a part of my life. You teach me so much.

    Thanking you for sharing...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

    ~LisaB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:50:00 PM

    Wow, you are truly a survivor. Glad you are still here to tell the story. That't truly a blessing.

    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  8. unityfalls1:30:00 PM

    I too am glad you are still here. You truly are a blessing and you touch so many lives for the better. How do I know? You've touched mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thank God for you daily. So glad you are here ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:15:00 AM

    You're here to share your beautiful heart, and wisdom with people like me. Sorry for your past pain. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!