Sunday, October 09, 2011

Sunday Scripture

So...

I am still barreling through the biblical book of Jeremiah. I find it a tad bit depressing. I am not halfway through yet, but that is okay, because I plan on spending the rest of the month mulling over it...

There are a few verses I am thinking about. I will post one.

From the Message version. I've heard this before, and found it interesting to come across it.

Jeremiah 15:19

Use words truly and well. Don't stoop to cheap whining. then but only then, you'll speak for me. Let your words change them. Don't change your words to suit them.

Jeremiah 17:9-10

The heart is hopelessly dark and deceitful, a puzzle that no one can figure out. But I, God, search the heart and examine the mind. I get to the heart of the human. I get to the root of things. I treat them as they really are, not as they pretend to be.


I'm not really interested in discussing these scriptures. I'll be pondering these all night long if I did. But they make me think of several things.

Whining (complaining) is right up there with making assumptions. Low forms of human thought.

Make sure you're having an affect on people... and you are not doing what you do, saying what you say, just for approval.

That next verse reminds me to sit down and really be honest with myself and examine my motives. Why do I do what I do? If God examines this, so should I.

I'm also picking up on a theme throughout these complicated chapters... It is easier to say what people want to hear, go along with the crowd and the like...

Much harder to stand up for what is right in the face of it all. People will reject, and criticize. They will even hurt you. But that is alright. Integrity is valuable and to be treated as such.

Always.

Hmmmm... I think much more about those verses. I just wanted to post them so I can look back at it.

I will ponder. Continue to wonder.

And keep reading.

2 comments:

  1. The heart is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I treat them as they really are, not as they pretend do be". That line explains a lot to me. Sometimes because we only see the surface we think we know a person. Someone acting harsh may just mean they've been hurt before and they are scared. Whereas we might only see the harsh treatment the display we treat them accordingly. But since God sees the hurt (the root) of their behavior he may treat them kindly because he knows they have a good heart deep down (how they really are).

    I need to ponder on it some more...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!