Thursday, October 20, 2011

Character Quotes for Character Week

It is National Character Counts Week!

How are you celebrating?

It's not like it's Christmas. But when I received a personal email from my President, I thought it must be important.

So we will celebrate here at the House of LadyLee.

*cartwheels*

This is my final post about it...

I wanted to post some of my favorite character posts.

"Character is what you know you are, not what others think you have.”

That right there is a "Don't fake the funk, ya chicken!" quote.

We as a society are deeply concerned about how we look to others. Making a big impression on people. Wanting people's approval.

But the painful question is, outside of all that, do you know who you are?

Or is the truth too painful to face?

Hmm.

“Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking.”

You are who you are when no one is looking.

I do believe that. That ties in with the previous quote. We are concerned with going on with what people think of us. What do we think of ourselves, and what are we doing when we are our true selves, i.e., when no one is looking?

We are more likely to do shady mess when no one is watching.

And here is one of my favorite quotes. It is from Abraham Lincoln. I came across this one while working a cryptogram. One can learn some amazing things just from solving a simple puzzle.

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

So in a nutshell... if you want to test a man's character, give him some power.

We are always talking about how to handle adversity... how to go through hard times. But you rarely hear much about how to handle power correctly, when given it.

Power magnifies character. Now that could be good. Or it could be bad. Very bad.

Give a person power over a group of people. If that person has some confidence or self-esteem issues, you best believe they gonna treat people like crap. Yeah, I know from first hand experience. Goodness.

Money is equated with power. If I have a heroin problem, it don't stop if I win a million dollars in the lottery. I'll just grab a gang of ya'll, we fly to Hawaii, rent a penthouse, and we buy the finest heroin and shoot it up. I'll probably OD. Humph.

There are all kinds of examples in the field of politics. Look at the power struggles that go on...

And look at the extreme power tomfoolery... the power held by these dictators... these now DEAD dictators. They had a lot of power, and we saw some serious character flaws... and the affect it had on millions of people.

A person of good character won't abuse the power they have. They will use it for good.

A person of questionable character... you give them some power and they plotting on how to control and manipulate and God knows what else. Gotta watch jokers like that. They are the ones who leave carnage in their paths.

Sigh.

I suppose what I take from all that is...

Be confident in my package, i.e., who I am.

Be confident in who I am at the moment.

Be confident in who I am, independent of what other's think.

Take note of who I am and what I am doing when no one is looking.

Continue to work on my personal growth and character.

And you continue too.

5 comments:

  1. Prints this out and hangs on my desk at work and in the work kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. unityfalls10:27:00 AM

    I love the way you break things down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Character is what you know you are, not what others think you have.” <------WHOA!!!

    TRUTH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, there is really much worthwhile info here!
    peanut butter fudge | sex with wife | what is social responsibility

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!