Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Night Thoughts: Motivations

Here I am again...

Waiting allll day to post. Finally posting at night.

Gotta get it in before midnight, yo.

So I'm wondering, if I took time to sit down and write for 30 minutes or so... what would be my immediate thoughts?

Hmmm....

I heard an interesting sermon on television this morning, by a minister that my Aunt likes, who has a church on her side of town. It was mostly about motives. Not a day goes by over the past few years that I don't stop and spend a moment thinking about my motives.

Motives are the everything. What motivates one to do what one does?

He gave an example of a man doing something for a woman and her children, like purchasing something they need. He could be doing it out of the love in his heart, and wanting to be a blessing, to be helpful. That's a good motive. However, if he is doing it with the angle of using it later on to manipulate that woman into getting something out of her, then what should be a good thing turns into something bad. Bad motives are involved. It is ulterior.

And the minister got over into manipulation and how that is a red flag for bad motives.

I myself can make a list of folk who I know have bad motives. And the shocker is that it is normal for them. You know the ones, the ones who run up on you when they want something. Oh they are nice, but nice for a reason. I have to keep my face from scrunching up when they come my way.

They don't care about me. The sincerity they display isn't real. They just want something from me.

I have gotten in trouble with people many a time, when they get messed over.

"Girl, why didn't you tell me they were like that."

Because I thought "they" just had bad motives when it came to me. That is the assumption I always make. Might just be their behavior towards me.

Interesting.

Well the minister said something that I never thought of, but was true:

Love is the greatest motivator.

Doing things out of love is the greatest motive of all.

It made me think of myself, and why I do the things I do. My motive has been love, many times in the past. But for myself, when I do things for people around me, my motive has always been appreciation. Gratitude. I am always thankful for people.

And not necessarily for what they do for me. I don't too much care for "You do something for me, then I do something for you." Cool in some respects, but not my angle. I am genuinely grateful for the people who cross my path who help me to become a better me, who take time to be kind. I love people that I don't have to watch and wonder about. I am thankful for those who know they can trust me, in a world where it is hard to trust in general.

I am very grateful. And I want to make sure not to take it for granted, and show my appreciation.

I think that is my core motive for doing the things that I do. Yes, I continue to work on it. But I think it is a solid core to have. A good positive motive. And it allows me

Some people don't understand that. I take it serious. Last year was not a great giving year for me, when it comes to people. I was able to do a few interesting things, but not as much as I like. I have a certain percent of my salary per year that I spend on being a blessing to people. I was worried about this year. I did pretty well this year, and it's not even over yet.

More to do.

Now I have evaluated my motives for doing things in the past, and sometimes the motives are bad. I admit it. However, I am getting better and better at being totally honest with myself and pinpointing these bad motives, and stopping before going through with whatever. I find I really am getting better to listening to my spirit, and letting peace be my umpire.

The key phrase here is being totally honest with oneself... on why you are doing the things you do.

Any whiff of manipulation... well, we have a problem.

So that is what's on my mind this evening. That is what I learned today. Among a TON of other things.

Evaluating my motives, in light of what I heard today.... it gave me a chance to stop and look at my heart.

I am doing well... and I will do better with time.

1 comment:

  1. Motives are everything. I'm learning that more and more.

    Makes me watch myself. A LOT.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!