Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Two Extremes: The Former... and The Latter

I like this poster...





Show Good Character by being Drug Free


You got that right, babes. Drugs tend to wreck character! Definitely a sign of bad character! For true!


Show good character by being caring, fair, respectful, responsible, trustworthy, and a good citizen.


Two Extremes, this good and bad character. One takes much work. The other doesn't.


Hmm.

So...

I received an interesting letter from our dear President proclaiming this week to be National Character Counts Week. We are encouraged to observe this week with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.

*crickets*

First time I've ever heard of this.

And I would go suggest to our illustrious stellar management that we should celebrate and talk about character this week, as our President suggests.

Not a good look. I would be wrote up for such... or worse, tossed out the window.

Character is just not all that important these days.

But we see it, and recognize it, each and every day.

I'm the type that notices the extremes.

On the one hand, you have people who wreck up other people's lives, and wreck up their own lives. I mean, when they step into your life, it's only a matter of time before everybody in the house- the family, the friends, the dogs, the cats, the goldfish and the cockroaches - are all out of sorts and their lives are turned upside down. And when they leave your life, mental, emotional, spritual, and even financial and physical carnage abounds... And you are left to pick up the pieces of your life.

Then there are people who are build up other people's lives, in addition to their own. When they step into your life, it's only a matter of time before everybody in the their immediate vincinity feels and does better... even thinks better. They are very aware of and in tune with what they need to change in their lives, and challenge themselves to do better. They are a blessing. And when they leave your life, you are a better person, whether it be emotionally, spiritually, mentally, physically or even financially.

Two Extremes.

And I make note of it.

Now if you ask the former about themselves, even after all the disaster they cause, they will swear they are the perfect people. It is YOU that has the problem, not them.

But if you ask the latter, they are quick to let you know that it is important within their ownselves to work on their personal growth. To be a better person. They welcome any opportunities to grow, to learn, to help people. They don't consider themselves perfect, but are willing to do whatever it takes to sharpen their own rough edges.

Two extremes.

I want to be the latter. Be a blessing. Be useful.

It's not all about me.

It's not "What about me?"

It's more of "What about you? I can I be of help to you?"

Because if I am good to you, someone is going to come along my path who is good to me... and so on, and so on, and so on.

I want to be the latter... I stay away from the former...


I have a good ways to go. But I am headed in that direction.

What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh I want to be a blessing also. Great post...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying Lee...I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!