Saturday, October 01, 2011

Saturday Love

Yes...





That picture above... that is me on a Saturday morning.

I am an interesting character. Friday night I lay in bed and think of all the things I'm going to get done on the weekend. And here it is, a Saturday morning, and I am laid out like that dog.

Don't get me wrong. It is well past noon, and I have managed to get a few things done. I've already washing and drying clothes. I've cleaned the kitchen a little. I didn't have breakfast, but I did have lunch (braised purple cabbage and stewed okra). And I have said my morning prayers. And I finished up a crochet project.

Soooo... when you look at it closely, it has been a productive morning.

This morning, I'm reflecting on my week. Well, the last couple of weeks, really. Rumors are rampant at work. Lab closing, my group being moved to a different state, all kinds of rumors like that. There has been a flurry of talkative activity going on.


Always amazing to me how people like to drop proverbial matches in very dry brush. A few words set off blazing infernos. Just a few words cause a lot of mental damage.

One thing I know: I don't build these huge technicolor pictures in mind based on what someone puts out there. I make it my business not to practice such. Because we as humans tend to build these images in our head. And what's sad is that it is all based on rumors... Words.

Words have power.

You don't believe me.

Look at this word:

Green

Look at it again, with an extra word added.

Go GREEN

You just thought about all KINDS of stuff, didn't you? You just built all kinds of pictures in your mind, hunh? And what's interesting is that we all held up a different set of images, based on our values, beliefs, fears, needs, etc...

I know I did.

Words, man. They are something else.

And these days, if your words are NOT helping me, being a blessing to me, or challenging me to think, or challenging me to be a better person... well, I do my best not to pay attention to them.

And that's what I think of all the rumors. Really, I think we as a society like anything juicy and salacious. As I get older, I make it a point to steer away from such. I don't want my mind trained to move toward or meditate on that type of thing.

Instead I have to make sure I have an understanding of what's real and what's not. What's the truth, and what's not. Be critically aware of who I am and what I believe.

And know from where my help comes, and Who takes care of me.

That's what I focus on.

And it has never failed.

What came out of my morning prayers this morning was:

I don't have to look to the left or look to the right to guage who I am. I can focus on my own lane and my own path and be thankful for it, and be thankful that I am exactly where I am suppose to be at this moment and time, and I am who I am and that's who I am glad to be.

Might not mean much to you, but it does to me.

I never judge who I am by what someone else is doing. The older I get, the more sense that makes.

Well that's enough of my thoughts for this Saturday morning.

Just stopping in to show you some Saturday Love.

Make it a great Saturday... on purpose.

4 comments:

  1. I never judge who I am by what someone else is doing. <----This was a HARD lesson for me to learn. Now that I've learned it, I'm SO much better off.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to leave my smiley face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing a little Saturday Love, Doc. And thanks for being YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!