Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day Eleven - Your Siblings

If you've read my blog for length of time, ya'll know who my brother and sister be:





My sister Kentucky! My brother Milk and Cookies!


Not their real names. Their blog names, given by other bloggers, lol.


Kentucky is 28 (She'll be 29 on the 17th). Milk and Cookies just turned 23 last week.


I look at them now, all grown up, adults, and I still think of them as little. I was 11 when Kentucky was born. I was 17 when Milk and Cookies was born.


I was there. I remember the first time I saw them.


I remember the first time I held them in my arms.


I even remember their favorite songs when they first learned to talk:


Kentucky: Chaka Khan's "I feel for you"


Kari: Quincy Jones' "Secret Garden"; BabyFace's "Whip Appeal"


(Yes, i remember. They sang those songs over and over and over. Drove me absolutely NUTS!)


Whenever anyone asks me if I have children, I say no. LadyTee is QUICK to holler "Stop lying, yes you do! She got kids. That doggone Kay and Kari! It's a long story!"


*LadyLee gives LadyTee the hard side-eye*


I've written, uh, interesting stories about their births here on blog- click here for Kentucky. Click here for Kari.


I'm older than them. More older sister/mama than friend that you can tell anything. They are closer in age, so they are closer in general. And I am fine with that. They have both been known to give me the side-eye when I holler:


"You gonna learn from my mistakes, or you gonna learn from your own. Any which way it goes, YOU WILL LEARN!"


They use to look at me crazy behind that one.


We don't see much of each other anymore. I don't like that, but life is life. My sister lived with me for the past 6 years. I watched her get her Masters and become a great teacher. My brother is a married man, has a son, and fights the good fight for our country over in Iraq. He's stateside now, and will be stationed in Seattle. I hope he doesn't have to go back, but if he does, I pray for his safe return.


I like who they've become.


I look forward to who they will be.


And I wish them both the best for the future!


1 comment:

  1. Both links are for Milk and Cookies - loved reading that story.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!