Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Day Two- Your First Love

*for my young readers- Magnolia Peach, Sasha... And the Infamous La (the best writer in the blog world, who endures my stalker stan twitter screechings and wailings when she tweets something, lol).

I wish I could go back some 15 years ago to my midtwenties, when I was ya'll's ages, that tender confusing place you all now reside. I hope this post let's you know that you go on, you be strong, and life will be alright.*

Man, what is up with ya'll? What's up with the whole population of Lurk City showing up on that last post?

I mean, ya'll negroes came out in a full Thriller dance routine. Shock the cheese outta me!

LOL!!!

Almost got me 'bout to censor myself!

No can do.

WARNING: This post is rated PG. Now, I done told ya'll, this ain't no spiritual blog. But in everything I write, you might be able to read between the lines. Wonder if you can do that here. Hmm.

'Tis my House. I'll scrawl high upon the walls with blood red crayons if I wanna.

Those of you without a past, feel free to cast the first stone or shoot the first bullet.

*Lee handing out sacks of rocks and fully loaded .38s*

*silence from the inhabitants of The House of LadyLee*

That's what I thought. Let's put the guns and rocks away, and continue.

So...

Glad ya'll enjoyed the intro. It was deeply personal. And some of ya'll like that personal ish.

This First Love topic, well, it's a bit personal too. I wrote about it some 700 posts ago (see "A Love Long Gone"). Been thinking about it all day. Even scribbled a few notes while waiting to get an echocardiogram done at my doctors office today.

First loves usher in a plethora of thoughts, feelings, memories, and emotions, you see.

It all had me thinking about a friend of mine, who, in the midst of backing up his truck of cuss on his child's mother concerning child support and custody issues, said to me, with a very heavy heart...

"You know, if I would have just kept walking past her in that club that night. If I would've looked the other way, danced with some other chick, got some other broad's number, I wouldn't be going through this shit right now."

Him saying that, at that moment, place and time... made me shake in my shoes.

If he had taken the right path, things would be different.

Or would they?

Because whatever we've gone through with our significant others- the cussing, the crying, the fighting, the beatdowns, and the breakups...

There was some point in time, long ago, that there was that key ingredient of being deep in love.

With all my men (that I was serious about), I remember when that love component was front and center.

But there's something to be said about that very first love.

That very first one.

No, he wasn't the one to provide the first kiss, the first lay, the first rides downtown...

(Okay, we don't need to go there.)

But there's something to be said about that very first love.

The one to remember.

Picture a 17-year-old me, LadyLee, sophmore in college, a little perplexed about life, pulling up to a Burger King drive-thru window, money in hand, hungry as hell, ready to pay for my Whopper with cheese (no pickles)...

And there he was. Eli. A dude I graduated from highschool with. Looking fly in his brown, gold and red Burger King uniform. As a matter of fact he was in my homeroom. I can't remember if I ever liked him or not. He sat next to me in homeroom at times, and I do remember him pulling me on the dancefloor to slow dance at one of our bootleg high school dances.

We spoke for a moment. He was glad to see me after all that time. He asked for my number. I wrote it on a napkin. I took his number, and shoved it in my purse.

Got my food. Kept it moving. Most likely, I was going over to LadyTee's house since she live over that way.

Eli called and we talked.

And we talked. And talked. And talked.

I'd always admired how well spoken he was.

There's something to be said about that first love. And how he influenced my penchant for well-spoken men, who can stimulate my mind with mere conversation.

There were dinners. There were movies.

There was that Salt-n-Pepa and Fat Boys concert down at the Omni arena.

And there was that one time we laid in bed at his friend's house, a house way back int he woods, behind the cemetary. Nothing happened. We lay there, and watched a movie, and simply talked.

I can't say that I remember the first time we kiss...

Or even the first time he hit...

But I remember him being the first man I spent an entire night with.

Correction: entire nights.

He's the first to make me...

You complete that sentence, because you've all been "there").

In other words, he was the first to make me:

Bump my head on headboards...

Bite my pillow...

Snatch fistfuls of sheets...

Scream for Jesus.

Let's just say that that first love helped me reach my full potential.

He was the first man I ever told late in the midnight hour, in the midst of thunder and lightning, raindrops hitting the roof, Keith Sweat asking "How Deep is Your Love" and "Make it Last Forever"...

"I love you."

He was the first to ever tell me, "I love you, too."

I'll never forget having sex 10 times in one day with my first love.

(Haven't done that since. And with my ratchety bones, ain't trying to, lol).

Or getting busy on the couch. The floor. The kitchen counter. The bathroom sink.

(Uh, you can tell where my mind was at that age, lol).

There's something about that first love... that when certain songs come on the radio, memories come back like a flash flood.

I remember our special song... Stephanie Mills "Something in the Way (You Make me Feel)"



There's something to said about that very first love, that brought me bliss I'd never forget... that would be the best lover I ever had, for years, and to whom every other lover will forever be compared.

There's also something to be said when that thing with that very first love...

Falls apart.

He didn't quite approve when I said I was going to apply to graduate school. I didn't know much at that age, but I knew if I was trying to accomplish something, and if someone in my sphere wasn't supporting that, well... that was bad news.

I know I cheated on him a couple of times, and confessed. He was alright with it, but he started seeing someone else. Hence, some of the most embarrasing times in my life when it comes to dealing with men.

Begging.

Pleading.

Crying.

Sitting in my '84 Cougar playing Miki Howard's "Come Home to Me", hoping it will help us get back together.

(I roll my eyes everytime that songs cue up on my ipod shuffle).

My first love dumped me, for another girl.

I was 20 years old and broken-hearted. Heart broken.

I remember coming home from work one day a year later, and he was there visiting my mother, with a baby carrier in hand. I said hey, didn't look at the newborn.

But I heard the baby cry as I went upstairs to my room....

And I lay across my bed and cried.

It took me two years to get over Eli. Two whole years.

Man, I was on some ol' Milira type crying in the rain craziness.



Had me, my young 20-year-old self, thinking, late in the midnight hour when I was alone with my thoughts and my tears.

"If I would've just taken my ass to McDonald's that night. If I would've just gone straight to LadyTee's house. If I would've just gone home and ate whatever Mama had cooked that night, I wouldn't be sitting here depressed and crying."

Has me thinking now...

Lawd thank you that I had enough sense to somehow go on with my life, to not let love and a man who couldn't think or dream beyond Burger King keep me from realizing my own dreams.

There's something to be said about that very first love...

The ebbs and flows in emotions that it brings.

It let's me know beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything happens for a reason, for a season....

That that love was wholly necessary.

And may even be responsible for who and where I am right now, good or bad.

So that's my tale of first love.

The longwinded version.




17 comments:

  1. whew... i thank you for that walk down my own memory lane my friend. i'm going to bed now and have a few sweet, sweet dreams.

    be well

    angela

    ps... thanks for stoppin by, i've been stalking you off/on for a long minute now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog cousin via big Blog sista Lovebabz!!

    Princess Tinybut, still running the ity bity tity committee I see. Keep it going!

    Thanks for stopping by. I hope I can add a smile to your day during the chemo. Take care, and I'll be stopping by the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so heartbreakingly sweet. Makes me think about my own first love ... le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chele... LOL @ "le sigh". Yes, that will be my phrase for the day.

    Let's just say that same Burger King on the Southside gets a hard side-eye whenever I drive past it. Le sigh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:13:00 AM

    I loved the story! You didn't need McDonald's Big Mac, the Whopper was needed at that time.
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a ride!! Very hearfelt and well written. You sucked me in Lady. Sounds like quite a time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man... that was...

    That was...

    That was right.

    And that's all I can really say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol I love your stalker tweets. WHo you think got me back to (pseudo) blogging?

    This story... hmm... This story. Feels all too familiar. It almost makes me wanna get in on this whole 30 days of blogging thing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The honesty in this post helped me get in touch with some feelings that I had been blocking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for not censoring yourself Lee, this story needed be written just like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :::sigh:::

    That's all I have to say on this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to agree with whoever said that was heartbreakingly sweet. Ah Love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sasha... Hey man, glad you like! I shoulda took my tail to Mickey D's across the street and ordered the #4 chicken nugget meal!! LOL

    @K. Rock and @A.Smith Glad you like! I tried HARD to cut this down so as not to be LONG-WINDED, but ya'll know how that goes.

    @The Infamous La...
    LAAAAAAA!!!!! *Lee passes out on hard concrete from screaming so doggone hard*

    *La kicks the hard eyeroll*

    I'ma stop stalker stannin' you. I'm just a frickin fan, man! I can't wait 'til you post something. Shoot, I have to go back and read the old ones I love! Yeah, I'ma need you to post 5 times a day, lol...

    You writing about your first love story... *blank stare* That'll be some seriuos lushness to read, girl. lol

    @Magnolia Peach... I didn't censor myself THIS time. You know, I have to be careful, because you young peoples... it may be too much for ya'll's delicate innocent eyes... LOL.

    Plus my baby sista reads my blog. Even though she is almost 29, I have to be EXTRA careful and keep it clean!! lol

    @This One Woman... Unblock, Oldgirl!! FREE YOUR MIND!! Git in touch with those feelings... no matter how painful or confusing they may be. They are YOUR feelings. UNBLOCK!! That is all! (You'll see me do this on my post on my Parents tonight. HARD SIGH).

    @Ms.Blackliterature.com... What you sighing for? Let's hold hands and sigh together....

    Le Sigh!!!!

    LOL. This doesn't tell me what you thought of it. I guess you will be shooting me an email to my gub'ment email, lol.

    @ My future POTUS, Not so Anon... "Heartbreakingly sweet". That sounds so fluffy. Ya'll know, I'm a hardcore oldgirl, and that's too prissy! You and Chele... I'll take the fluffiness as a compliment, lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thoughts....

    You seemed to be totally in love with him so what made you cheat on him do u think? The age factor?

    Wow he had mad skillz like that at that young age? Lol

    What you say you was a 17 year old and a sophomore in college? I knew you were highly intelligent...

    You totally took me back to my first love. He eventually spent 3 years in prison for selling drugs. Thank the Lord we parted before then..

    You summed it up quite nicely saying how the whole relationship/experience was necessary....mos def!

    Love the 30 day challenge...can't wait to read each day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not Milira! I thought my sis was the only person who listened to Milira (and she is still mad that her tape got stolen years ago when her car was broken into, and she can't find a replacement).

    Oh man...this took me down memory lane to my first love, my HS sweetheart. Good times, and the worst heartache...I might have to write abotu it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ginae... Answering your questions, I think we were comfortable and familiar, and well, I would meet guys at work and if I liked someone, well... I was a youngster, okay? lol...

    Started college at 16!! I was a smart chick, but a bit too "active".

    Good that you parted ways with your first love. My first love-- dude showed up on my steps 5 years later saying he still loves me. Uh, excuse me, ain't you been married twice and got like 4 kids? *crickets* NO WAY!

    @MsMarilie... Milira!! With her wanna-be Anita Baker self. (But I would LOVE to get my hands on the cassette. That girl could SANG!!) lol

    We all have those "first love" stories. I've read some great ones the last couple of days. Write yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AW LAWD......Lee done made me cry! That was such a beautiful memory. I love the way you told it. You're such a sharing person.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!