Friday, August 27, 2010

Day Twenty-Five - A First

These topics, I tell you... they are really making me think.

And I'm trying to fly in the direction of things I've never blogged about.

Serenity23 suggested something TOTALLY outlandish over on twitter.

Uh, no. My blog is rated PG! That is going off in a whole nother direction. lol

No, I'm not telling you what she suggested.

I'll just keep it... safe.

The first time I cheated in school.

Don't look at me like I just got off the bus. It is what it is.

It was around 1977, I believe. I was in the third grade.

And I forgot to do my spelling homework.

I told my best friend Tasha about this. She said, "That's alright. You can copy my homework."

And that's what I did. Copied her 10 spelling words.

So, we were in class, and the teacher was going over the words with the class.

I kept raising my hand, and spelling the words right. Thank goodness for Tasha letting me copy her homework!

So we got to the word "tomato". I spelled it correctly, loud as all get out.

Tomato! T-O-M-A-T-O. Tomato!!

The teacher smiled. I think her name was Mrs. Jones. She said "Lee, you are doing great! You are doing a great job!"

My friend Tasha raised her hand. "That's because she copied my homework, Mrs. Jones."

*crickets*blank stare*

Hard gasps and "Ooooooooooooohs" exploded from the class.

I was so embarrassed. I slumped in my seat.

"Is that true, Lee?" my teacher asked. Her voice had lost any sign of kindness. "Did you copy Tasha's homework?"

I couldn't speak. All I could do is nod my head yes.

I was screaming inside, though. Screaming "PLEASE DON'T CALL MY MAMA!"

I got an F that day. I think that was my first F ever.

And my mother got a call from the teacher.

My mama beat my tail over that one. Oh, it was awful.

I went back to school the next day. Me and Tasha stayed friends.

I was young then. Some mess like that goes down now, I'll leave you alone.

Really though.

LOL

That was a first for me. Definitely not the last, though.

4 comments:

  1. what in the world made that girl tell on you like that? and um, she should have gotten in trouble too since she did let you copy from her...acting all innocent, playing BFF role, and then tattling and what not....just trifling...lol...wonder what kind of friend she is today...oh the things we say and do in our youth....i bet she's scratching her head also wondering why she behaved in that manner..sometimes I guess the only explanation for things like that is "i was young"..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was way more recent than 3rd grade when I cheated on homework.

    But I didn't tell the boy behind me he could cheat off my spelling test. So I whispered out loud t-a-m-a-t-o-e & wrote on my paper tomato & the next word whispered it wrong & wrote it correctly. Not sure what his grade was, but I got my A. Evil little child, yes I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I was already a little bitch by 3rd grade [blame my parents] I never would have talked to Tasha again [flips hair] Damn she put you all on blast.

    Sincerely,

    Go

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homegirl was thinking to herself... "this hoe done copied my paper and tryna act brand new. no ma'am. she will not get all the shine."

    I ain't mad at Tasha. Uh-uh. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!